Thursday, February 3, 2011

Finding the epicenter

Guiding question: how can you locate an earthquake epicenter?

Hypothesis: my hypothesis was that all the circles would meet in the middle?

Materials: drawing compass whit pencil outline map of the united states

Procedure: make a copy of data table showing difference in earthquake
Record and analyze: I saw that when i was making the three circle I needed to have the exact amount of meters between one city and the other one it made a triangle at the end where the earthquake was the sizes of the circles where different one from the other one was small one big and one medium.

Conclusion: my hypothesis failed because I though it would meet more in the middle at the end it met in Kentucky I tough it would meet Kansas city my lab was positive and it did not fail and it went well at the end.

Further inquiry: if I did this lab again i would do it all over. I'm not saying that the answer I got was wrong but I did not like how I did it and I would put more concentration on it and work more time on it




















1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophia,
    The conclusion you made was quite good. You were able to use the compass to find the epicenter in Tennessee, but also mentioned that your hypothesis was somewhere in Kansas which was good. However, the questions for data analysis were missing from your post as well as the More to Explore. Please revise and complete.

    ReplyDelete